This space is reserved for beauty, goodness and mercy. It is for Islam.

Wednesday 3 August 2011

A Gentle Lord

Reading the Quran generally and today, reading Surah Ta-Ha (20), one cannot not be moved by the way Allah Most High refers to his Prophets, in particular Hazrat Musa AS (Moses).

In that Surah, repeatedly, through a series of "Ya Musa", the Lord gently consoles Moses (AS) and reassures him, almost like a loving father would to his timid insecure child.  Preparing him for a brutal confrontation with the world (pharaoh).  Strengthening his heart with His love.

Whenever, I encounter references to Hazrat Musa (AS), I tend to recall the movie "The 10 Commandments" and especially the scene where the sea is parted to let through the children of Israel before closing in on Pharaoh and his army  ( I grew up watching this movie.  It is etched deep in my subconscious for some reason!).

Now, in (late) adulthood, it is not so much the parting of the sea that amazes me. I know that Allah Most High does whatever He Wills and His Might and Glory is written large in all creation.  It is more His gentleness towards His Prophets that moves me.  Him, the Most Kind, the Most Loving.

This very gentleness saw Moses' triumph over mighty Pharaoh, a victory of good over evil.  Yet another beauty of Islam.

No comments:

Post a Comment